jeudi 13 octobre 2016

Julie’s gadget diary – What comes after the smartphone?

superphone

I’m sure you guys are getting tired of my whining about how the current crop of smartphones isn’t as “fun” as devices were back in the good old days of PDAs when new features and technology was being developed every few months. I even get tired of listening to myself because I’m starting to remind myself of SNL’s Grumpy Old Man. “…in my day, we used plastic toothpicks to type on black and white screens, and that’s the way it was, and we LIKED it!” 🙂

It’s time (for me) to stop looking backward and start looking forwards. Each new phone model that Apple, Google, LG, Motorola, etc. releases might not be exciting right now, but what comes next? 

Today mobile phones are also known as smartphones. What will we be calling them five years from now? I’m going to get a jump on the name game and I’m going to say that they’ll be called superphones.

In my superphone dreams (you dream about gadgets too right?), I envision a handheld device similar to what we have now, but this device will be our main computing, communication, life logging and entertainment device. A one device to rule them all kind of device.

Here are the features I want to see in a superphone in the five years:

  • Completely waterproof – this is not a stretch now since Apple and Samsung are leading the way now with this feature
  • Battery life that lasts at a minimum of 48hrs without needing to be recharged even when playing movies
  • Hyperfast recharging wirelessly or via a cable. Fully recharged in 15 minutes or less
  • 5.5 inch display when in handheld phone mode, but display unfolds to 11 inch for tablet mode
  • Snap on keyboard with touchpad that’s as good as MacBook touchpads that turns the phone into a laptop that can be actually be used on your lap
  • An operating system robust enough that it will allow this one device to be a full fledged computer that I can use for all my work including photoshop, video editing, etc.

You know after writing down the features that I want to have in a superphone, I see that I really don’t want as much as I thought I did. What I  want most is really long battery life and just one device that’s my phone, my computer and my camera while still fitting in my pocket. I’m sure that’s going to happen. I already see it happening. I am just anxious for it to hurry the heck up and get here so I can buy one and then complain about the features it doesn’t have 😉

What about you? What would be your dream device?

Filed in categories: Articles

Tagged:

Julie’s gadget diary – What comes after the smartphone? originally appeared on The Gadgeteer on October 13, 2016 at 9:45 am.

Note: If you are subscribed to this feed through FeedBurner, please switch to our native feed URL http://ift.tt/1nJlrA1 in order to ensure continuous delivery.



Julie’s gadget diary – What comes after the smartphone?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire